Thursday, September 6, 2012

How to Align Directional Fabric for an Hourglass Block

So, here's the dilemma...you chose your favorite prints for an hourglass block and both your light and dark fabrics are a directional print .  You cut your blocks and you're ready to sew...you sew one block together and you realize when you cut them apart your prints are sideways or upside down.  Ack!

(did I happen to mention, this happened to me...) but thankfully I only made one and then figured out which way to turn my block so that my little birdies and trees would be right side up in my quilt.

The method I am using to make my hourglasses is drawing a line from corner to corner and sewing a 1/4" down each side of the pencil line, cutting it apart, and repeating the process.  I'm not pre-cutting triangles in this method.

Take one block (birdies) and with them right side up turn them to the right one time so they are sideways.  Leave the other print (trees) right side up. (I do apologize for fuzzy photos...ipod pics are sometimes not the best.)

I have not shown the steps for making an hourglass block...I'm assuming you're familiar with this method.  But each hourglass block creates 2 hourglasses - one block with the dark fabric going up and down, the other block with the dark fabric going side to side.  You can see in my finished quilt that in each row the hourglass blocks are turned opposite...so the directional fabric turns out ALL right side up. Yay!  Hope this helps...if you are confused, please leave me a comment.
 


2 comments:

  1. " line from corner to corner and sewing a 1/4" down each side of the pencil line, cutting it apart, and repeating the process." Is this a single layer of fabric? And you are sewing it to stabalize the bias?
    It is a little unclear. It would help to have pictures of each step, and even an explanation of the hourglass block. I don't remember off hand how they are made. I love the quilt!
    BTW, I really like your new picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Joni, yes. you are right, i was not clear...in the near future i will post the hourglass block and how it's made. i was assuming most knew the quick method for hourglass and you know what assuming does...get's me in trouble ;)

      Delete

I LOVE getting feedback on my posts...please leave me a note. Thank you!